Changing Spaces

Back to Article
Back to Article

Changing Spaces

Alyssa Katsafanas, Journalist

Notice something different Alt- Ed? Where is Mrs. Taylor? Have you seen Mrs. Saul? They have changed spaces from last school year. Mrs. Saul is now downstairs teaching middle school science and Mrs. Taylor is now teaching high school science.  Both teachers agree changing spaces was not easy and is very different from their previous positions. Mrs. Saul, who is now teaching downstairs in the middle school explains that it is challenging because of the age of the students. Their age has an impact on their attention span.  To solve this conflict, she does a lot of hands on lessons to keep the kids interacting and focused in a fun way. Her favorite topic to teach in science is rocks and minerals. Mrs. Taylor’s transition was fairly easier because of the fact that she recently taught technology.  Technology involves engineering and math and that is useful when teaching science. Mrs. Taylor also explains that she has a hands on teaching style and encourages her students to be very interactive and participate in class discussion so that she knows they grasp the concept. This year will be Mrs. Taylor’s first time teaching Environmental Science. Both teachers are excited to face the challenges the new schoolyear brings.