What’s the Point of the Point Sheet?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What’s the Point of the Point Sheet?

Chyniece Anderson, Journalist

At the Center for Educational Opportunity, students carry a daily point sheet to keep track of their punctuality, engagement and behavior in class. Does the point sheet help you? According to Mr. Kidd the Algebra & Statistics teacher, “Point sheets are important to keep track on student’s achievement.” The point sheet is like money. Basically, the points you get on your point sheet add up. By the end of the week on Friday, if you have enough points, you can buy from the school store.

I conducted interviews with three students that go to alternative education to understand their thoughts on the point sheet. I asked student, Anika, if at times  she thinks teachers are accurate on the point sheet. Anika felt felt that teachers are generally accurate on the sheets. Then, I asked another student, Iyonna,whether the point sheet stresses her out by the end of the week when all her points add up. She responded, “Not really.”

My opinion on the point sheet is there really isn’t a good reason to have it … well unless you need to use the restroom or office etc. From the three people I interviewed it’s not really different. Most people don’t adjust their behavior because they still act the same, but they appreciate the opportunity to earn points to purchase items from the school store.

Well, what’s the point? The point of the point sheet is to put students in their best behavior!