Can You Hear Me Now?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Can You Hear Me Now?

Iyonna Henson, Journalist

Can you hear me now?

Phone!! Phone!! Phone!!! That’s all teenagers know and think about. A typical teenager checks their phone when they wake up, before brushing their teeth, between or during classes, and all through the night, sometimes even waking up to check their phones. The results of a questionnaire given to high school students at the Center for Educational Opportunity show that a little over half of the participants prefer Androids while others prefer the iPhone.

The results also revealed that more than half of the students are on their phones more than half of any given day. Most students use a camera related app called Snapchat where they spend an average of 9 hours per day. The good news is that students were also asked if they think it is acceptable to text and drive, and all of them answered, “No.”

Students may not admit this, but phones can be distracting, especially during school. Use of phones to access social media also influences negative behaviors and can cause poor attitudes overall. For example, if a student receives a negative message or sees a negative post on social media, he or she may react to the post in a negative way which could impact the rest of the school day.

Students can avoid the pitfalls of using cell phones by following this simple rule: Work first, phones later.